In May I started a company and went freelance. For the most part I’ve been working for one place since then, but I have been running other projects which I’ve been really bad at documenting. I can reconstruct each week using my calendar and accounts, but that’s not going to be useful in a few years.
Haar is the name of the company I started. It’s a nice word, but not the best name – if you say it aloud you have to spell it out to people.
Mostly it’s just a thing to invoice as, but occasionally I think about what it might look like were it to become a stand-alone thing. Christmas was a good time for that kind of thinking. Few conclusions, except to start doing week notes. I’ll be writing them on Mondays (The company started on a Tuesday), and using codenames whenever I can’t mention a client or project by name. Also, starting on a very quiet week sets a good precedent.
I’m just starting the research for this comics project, compiling a tumblog of photographs, bits of text and and few pieces of music that I’m going to share with an illustrator in a couple of weeks. I’ll link to it here when it really enters production.
I’m finding that process really useful, and already seeing things clunk together onscreen in a way that hasn’t worked when I try just getting going with a blank text document.
In the codename phase. A new client, I’m doing some (paid) copy triage for them, along with a pitch for more work together later in the year. Very interesting stuff, poking at the journey users take as they sign-up to services. Last week saw a bit of research and some scribbles, with the heavy lifting to take place at the start of this week.
Christmas was great. So was the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum. Another really nice, minimal collection, seen in very good company. We followed it up with the Google Web Lab, which was similarly brilliant (and surprisingly quiet).